One of the reasons we so love our Filofaxes, or other ring bound planners, is the ability to have control over what sections are within them.
What I need will be different to what you need and what you need will be different to the next person.
Now don’t worry naming them perfectly the first go round. I can almost guarantee you’ll set it up one way and then end up changing them around as you see how you use them! Don’t let not knowing your perfect tab names stop you from creating them though.
Make your first decision, start using the planner and then rename as you want. No need to over complicate thing Life Crafters!
Brainstorm Possible Sections
I like to start off with a bit of a brainstorm on the type of sections I think I’ll need and I ask myself questions such as:
- what do I collect information about regularly? ie gift ideas, blog post ideas, books to read
- What do I like or need to have on hand? ie personal information, to do lists, shopping list
- What activities do I do on a regular basis? ie journalliing, note-taking
- What do I refer to often? ie passwords, login details, addresses
This gives me some ideas of the types of pages I want and the sections they can go in.
Look At What Others Are Doing
Here is a list of planner section ideas:
Health – Diet & Exercise
Quotes & Inspiration
Your Hobby ie knitting, golfing, writing
Some of the above may just be pages that can be grouped together behind a single tab.
MY CURRENT SECTIONS
– Intro Section (personal info, contacts, account info, password reminders)
– Master To Do Lists
– Calendar Parts (with Jan-Dec Tabs)
– Musings – Journaling pages
– Inspiration – Quotes and Lists such as I did it, Life Lessons, Life Highlights
– Lists – Wishlist, Giftlist, Places to Visit, Books to Read etc
Decide on Which Section Titles to Use
Decide which tab names suit your needs and would like to try out from your brainstorm and from looking at others. Implement them in your planner.
[an aside for perfectionists…if you can’t stand to write on your tabs when you are not sure if you’ll change them up soon, just cut down a post it note to size and put that on the tab until you are sure!]
You don’t want to have too many tabs in place or your binder will become too bulky! Between 4-10 is generally good. Consider using your other binders (for those
addicts people that have lots of Filos!!) for more specific areas or projects that you want to go into detail for. ie home journal, gardening, money matters, wedding etc
After a few weeks or maybe only after a few days of use you’ll be able to see whether these sections are working for you. Change them up as you need.
Share what your sections are and you might give other people ideas!
Life is crafted. Craft yours,